2 cm root ginger
10 - 20 ml high quality Echinacea tincture*
clove of garlic (optional)
1 - 2 Tbsp Sweetree raw honey
- Grate rind of lemons and ginger root, crush garlic and pour 1 litre of boiling water over and leave to steep for 10 minutes (or longer).
- Add lemon juice and strain.
- Add Echinacea and honey, stir to dissolve.
- Drink the entire brew over the course of a day. Keep it in a thermos to keep it warm.
- Use less Echinacea if you want a preventative brew, and a higher dose if you feel you are coming down with a cold or flu or you already have one.
- You can also add more garlic, just chew parsley to get the smell off your breath. (Parsley is also high in vitamin C for fighting infections).
* You can get Echinacea from most health shops, your local herbalist or herbal dispensary. You can contact Helen, the creator of the recipe, below, to purchase Echinacea, otherwise if you are close to one of these shops I recommend 'The Herbal Shop and Clinic' in Hamilton
or 'The Herbal Dispensary' in Raglan
Created by Helen Donnison - Medical Herbalist and Naturopath, Hamilton