It's that time of year again when it can be hard to avoid those winter ailments. Coughs, colds, sore throats, blocked/running nose, blocked ears, feeling miserable. And then there is the full blown flu - we want to avoid that!
The best thing you can do to avoid these bugs is by having a good strong immunity to start with. But with our fast paced lives these days there is often not enough time to exercise, get out in the sun or prepare nourishing foods. And the physical and emotional stress just make things worse!
Here is what we recommend you do to support your body over the winter months.
To help you avoid nasty bugs over the winter we recommend:
- Daily consumption of bee pollen to build your immunity.
- Take vitamin C every day (I recommend Clinicians Family Vitamin C)
- Eat lots of fresh fruit and veges
- Eat fish regularly, I would also recommend taking cod liver oil daily (here's a good one for the winter months)
- Get some fresh air and exercise
- Get outside everyday to get vitamin D, you may even need to look at taking a supplement for this over the winter months
- Get enough sleep, try to get as much sleep before midnight as possible
- Avoid stress - get some time out. Take up yoga, mediation or relaxation exercises
If it is too late and you already have cold or flu symptoms try these:
- When you feel a cold or flu coming on have some drops of Propolis tincture in a little bit of water.
- Make 'Helen's Cold and Flu Remedy', it works wonders and tastes delicious
- Eat a teaspoon of active 5+ Manuka or active 10+ Manuka honey every hour or so if you have a sore throat
- Make some homemade chicken stock/broth and drink some cups of this. I know what you are thinking - but it works a treat!! There are lots of great recipes online, try this Weston Price recipe
- If your nose is blocked put your head over a bowl of boiling water with a few drops eucalyptus oil and place a towel over your head (and the bowl to enclose the steam) and breath the steam in through your nose.
- Lots of rest, drink lots of water and keep warm.
- Try to get into a warm spot in the sun and get some vitamin D
If you feel you need something more to build your immunity or get you through the bugs go and see a health professional. You may want to see your doctor, pharmacy, herbalist, Chinese medicine therapist, Naturopath, etc. Personally I love to visit the friendly team down at the Herbal Shop and Clinic (cnr Ohaupo Road & Lorne St in Hamilton). They, or any herbalist near you, will give you a brew specific for your needs! I love this holistic approach to nourishing and healing your body.