This recipe is a warming, delicious (and nutritious) way to start the day. I’ve noticed the breakfast cravings seem to shift a bit as well when the weather begins to cool down and the need to start the day with something a bit more on the hearty side becomes almost mandatory. This breakfast ticks all the boxes and can easily be doubled, thus can be enjoyed all week as leftovers. Leftovers for breakfast? Yes!
For the Roast Apples:
- 4-5 organic apples, cored and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp Sweetree raw honey
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Place apples, honey and cinnamon in a 9×9 inch baking dish. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until apples are soft and beginning to caramelize on top. Remove from oven until ready to use.
For the Hot Cereal
- 3/4 cup millet
- 1/4 cup amaranth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups almond milk or alternative
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Plain kefir or yogurt (try Redwood farm goat kefir for a real treat)
- Fresh ground nutmeg
- Brown sugar
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over high heat.
- Add millet and amaranth and cook for a couple minutes until they smell toasty and a bit like good popcorn.
- Add water, almond milk, sea salt and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and check to see if the grains are cooked and consistency is a good cream consistency. If cereal needs thickening, simply leave the lid off and simmer for another 10 minutes as this will evaporate some of the liquid.
- When finished, remove from heat and let cool as cereal will continue to thicken.
- Place in bowls and enjoy with your selection of toppings.
Serves 2 in a hearty way (with some leftovers).
This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
This recipe was written by Sarah Wadsorth - The Seasonal Alchemist