We swear by this remedy when anyone starts to come down with something. We make a thermos fill and drink away during the day. It works a treat!
- 2 lemons
- 2 cm root ginger
- 10 - 20 ml high quality Echinacea tincture*
- clove of garlic (optional)
- 1 - 2 Tbsp Sweetree raw honey
- Grate rind of lemons and ginger root, crush garlic and pour 1 litre of boiling water over and leave to steep for 10 minutes (or longer).
- Add lemon juice and strain.
- Add Echinacea and honey, stir to dissolve.
- Drink the entire brew over the course of a day. Keep it in a thermos to keep it warm.
- Use less Echinacea if you want a preventative brew, and a higher dose if you feel you are coming down with a cold or flu or you already have one.
- You can also add more garlic, just chew parsley to get the smell off your breath. (Parsley is also high in vitamin C for fighting infections).
- You can get Echinacea from most health shops, your local herbalist or herbal dispensary. You can contact Helen, the creator of the recipe, below, to purchase Echinacea, otherwise I also recommend 'The Herbal Shop and Clinic' in Hamilton
Created by Helen Donnison - Medical Herbalist and Naturopath, Hamilton