We have been sharing some special spots we have found in the areas where our honeys are harvested, todays area is a magic spot in its own right! Ohui is nestled between Pauanui and Whangamata, on the eastern side of the Coromandel Peninsula, right next to Opoutere. Ohui means 'place of meeting', so why not meet some friends there and check out the area!
The Ohui / Opoutere area is truly an idyllic spot to get away from it all! With a beautiful isolated white sandy beach and calm estuary there is endless fun (and/or relaxing) to be had! Some activities you can enjoy in the area are:
- Swimming at the beach or estuary
- Snorkling in the estuary or around Hikunui Island
- Kayaking in the calm estuary
- Fishing via boat or surf casting
- Playing in the rock pools at Ohui (northern) end of the beach
- There are many walks to enjoy such as:
- Maungaruawahine Pa hill gives wonderful views of the harbour, sandpit and outlying islands as well as Ruahiwiwi Point Pa. From Opoutere Road follow native bush to the top of the hill, from there you can see see stone ramparts that formed part of the Maori fortifications
- On your way back home Wentworth Falls is worth a visit if you feel like a 2 1/2 hour walk
- Mountain biking
- The sand spit is a breeding ground for endangered native birds, so the perfect place for bird watching
- Relax with a book under a tree or on the beach!
Photo by Ayden Evelyn