We've recently come back from a trip to Europe for my brother's wedding. When we were in Venice I was shocked to see so many plastic bottles in the rubbish bins, the bins were about 5 meters from each other and they were all full. But I was flabbergasted to find out the bins get emptied every half an hour!!! So this photo is just half an hours plastic waste!!
I'm so glad we took our own reusable drink bottles, we would have gone through a huge amount of plastic otherwise. The great thing about Italy, and probably many other countries, is there are water fountains and taps everywhere to refill drink bottles. There really is no need for this wastage.
Here's some tips for reducing plastic when travelling:
- Take resuable drink bottles
- Pack solid bars for shampoo, conditioner, deodorant and moisturisers, such as Ethique's great range. I like to wrap mine in Honeywraps or pop them in a resuable KaiCarrier reusable plastic bag
- Pack a bamboo toothbrush
- If you need a regular coffee fix take a reusable cup or drink in the cafe instead of having a take-out. Pop it in your carry-on to use on the flight
- Dine in instead of take-out
- Say no to straws or if you can't live without them take your own reusable straw
- If you really need to store something in a plastic zip lock bag try reusable ones instead of the supermarket ones, we love KaiCarrier
- Take your own fold-up shopping bags so you can say no to plastic bags when shopping. They come in very handy!