Here are some tips for limiting plastic when you are eating and drinking on the go this Plastic Free July
When Eating Out
- Take your own containers when ordering takeaways from somewhere that uses plastic (eg Indian), or find a takeaway joint that used eco-friendly packaging
- Take your own container/s to restaurants for any leftovers
- Carry reusable utensils such as bamboo or your own stainless steel cutlery from home when eating at places like food halls and when eating takeaways away from home.
- Drinking on the Go:
- Keep a reusable travel mug in your car at all times, as soon as it's been washed put in straight back in before you forget
- Keep a reusable coffee mug on your desk at work
- If you're going for a takeaway coffee while at work and have forgotten your reusable mug just grab one from the staff room
- If you forget your reusable mug when ordering a coffee ask for 'no lid'
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you at all times or use a glass at your desk instead of the plastic cups
- Say no to a straw when ordering cold drinks or carry stainless steel straws with you.
Snacking on the Go
- When ordering ice cream choose a cone over a tub
- Look for a local sausage sizzle
- Buy from bakeries, cafes, etc that use paper as opposed to plastic bags
- Choose food that isn't pre-wrapped.
- Take your own snacks in a non-plastic container or wrap them in honey wraps.
Plastic Free Travelling Kit
It's best to be prepared in advance, then you never get caught out. Have a kit set up in your car ready to go! I've set up a kit that has:
- Enamel cups
- Cutlery, in a pencil case
- Containers for sushi, food court, or doggy bag food.
- Stainless steel straws
- Fabric serviettes
- And of course, there's always a picnic blanket in the boot just in case.