We've all be sucked into the consumer age but we need to try and get ourselves out of it for the sake of the planet and future generations! This first blog in my 'waste pyramid' blogs is about refusing waste. This is the first thing we need to think about when we purchase items and we need to be asking questions of ourselves before we buy things. We need to refuse wastage!
Before Purchasing Ask Ourselves:
- Do I really need a new ...? Can we do without it?
- Could I get the old one fixed rather than replace it?
- Could I buy second hand?
- Could I borrow from someone, if it is something I don't use often?
When Purchasing Always:
- Consider the less packaged option, refuse over-packaged items
- Choose items that you can get parts for and can be fixed if broken or refilled/reused
- Refuse single use plastic, styrofoam, etc
- Refuse plastic! We'll have more on this over plastic free July but some tips are:
- Choose items in glass, paper, and cardboard over plastic
- Take your own re-usable coffee cup when getting a takeaway coffee
- Carry a reusable non-plastic drink bottle
- Take your own containers to takeway places you know will use plastic or styrofoam
- Store containers, reusable utensils, straws, etc in your car for meals on the go
- Choose skin and haircare in bar form, in tin or glass over plastic bottles
- Always have reusable shopping bags in your car/s and in your handbag
- Use reusable containers, paper or wax wraps for school/work lunches.
Refuse By Using Reusable Products Such As:Ethique hair and body bars
Joco coffee cups and stainless straws
Reusable shopping/produce/bulk bin bags
Biodegradable dental care products
Honey in glass jars
Honeywrap food wraps
We've decided it's so important that we all take care of our world that we now sell a range of plastic free products to help our customers start to make a difference.